At the heart of our products and our operations, is a passion for a better quality of life.
A Peabodys decision is one made with care and consideration for the happiness of our customers, for the wellbeing of our team and for the benefit of the environment around us. In just a word, we care for sustainability.
THE THREE PILLARS WE STAND BY:
Knowing the business we are in has historically had a large impact environmentally and socially, Peabodys are fighting forward and bringing thoughtful changes in a responsible manner to make our environment a better place for its people and customers.
We have split this into three areas:
1. Protecting the Environment
- Single use plastic reduction strategy
- Protect the rainforest through our choice of coffee
- Reusable cup scheme
- 100% Coffee waste recycled as organic fertiliser
- Less Deliveries & Carbon Neutral balancing
- No Room for Food Waste
- Meat free Monday
2. Caring for our people
- Flexible working
- Support for further education
- Promote diversity & inclusion enhance work culture
- Continued professional training
- Free lunches and 30% discount in every store
- Team-building events
- Paying Real living wage
3. Enhancing ethical sourcing
- Organic, Fair trade coffee blend
- Supporting the lives of farming communities in South Africa, Congo, and Latin America
- Supplier selection in line with our values
- Local Suppliers to reduce carbon footprint
PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT – Our War on Plastic
In 2021, we knew we needed to tackle our single use plastic striving to have only a positive impact on the environment around us. This is where our war on single use plastic started. Some things were able to be fixed instantly but others we knew would take more time. We gave ourselves 3 dates to tackle each area and it is great to say that we are on track!
- Plastic straws, plates, stirrers, and cutlery are banned, replaced with sustainable paper, wood and bamboo alternatives.
- 20p discount given when using reusable cups.
- Catering menu 100% sustainable packaging, including reusable tap water bottles.
- All carrier bags FSC paper only
- Plastic lined cups and lids are banned, replaced with plastic-free, home-compostable alternatives.
- Plastic film for panini, ciabatta and wrap packaging replaced with FSC paper.
- Smoothie and frappé cups replaced with plastic-free alternatives. Search continues
- Plastic film fronted paper bags banned, replaced with FSC home compostable, plastic-free paper bags.
- All plastic film removed from remaining packaging.
CARING FOR OUR PEOPLE
We have a diverse team of managers, baristas, and kitchen staff from across the globe. Some have been with us more than a decade, whilst others stay just a short while. Regardless, all team members are offered professional barista training throughout the year. More advanced skills are offered as staff develop and their interest in hospitality grows.
Full-time staff are entitled to free lunches and 30% discount in every store. We stage several team-building events per year.
ETHICAL SOURCING – Fairtrade, Organic Coffee & Less Deliveries.
Our Organic and fairtrade coffee is ethically sourced from Honduras and Peru. We partnered with the world land Trust to protect the natural habitats. To date we have helped secure over 217 Acres of forest, protected over 55,416 tree and we are currently carbon neutral on our coffee.
To reduce the carbon footprint of our supply chain (and support local producers), we rely on local London based businesses for fruit and vegetables, fresh pasta and many of our drinks and kitchen ingredients. In 2019 we dramatically decreased the number of vans delivering to our sites, reducing food miles and CO2 emissions.